For immediate release
Statement from APHL CEO, Scott J. Becker
Silver Spring, MD, March 11, 2021 – “APHL commends President Biden and members of Congress for their hard work in passing and enacting the American Rescue Plan, which will provide critical emergency funding for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic response. Most notably, we are grateful for funding to support public health laboratories including:
- $46 billion to detect, diagnose, trace and monitor SARS-CoV-2 including historic investments in public health laboratory capacity, enhanced information technology and reporting;
- $7.6 billion to support the public health workforce including laboratory personnel and informaticians;
- $1.75 billion for SARS-CoV-2 sequencing efforts including construction of new laboratories;
- $500 million for data modernization; and
- $750 million for global health.
“This historic package marks an essential investment to bolster our public health response and a commitment to fighting the COVID-19 pandemic. We look forward to working with the Biden administration, members of Congress and APHL members to ensure these dollars are applied quickly, efficiently and effectively to protect the public’s health.”
# # #
The Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) works to strengthen laboratory systems serving the public’s health in the U.S. and globally. APHL’s member laboratories protect the public’s health by monitoring and detecting infectious and foodborne diseases, environmental contaminants, terrorist agents, genetic disorders in newborns and other diverse health threats. Learn more at www.aphl.org.
Contact: Michelle Forman (firstname.lastname@example.org)