Did you know that today, October 15, is Global Handwashing Day? It’s true! Even without a designated day, proper hand washing should always be a priority.
Why is hand washing so important?
- It is estimated that washing hands with soap and water could reduce diarrheal disease-associated deaths by up to 50%. (CDC)
- Researchers in London estimate that if everyone routinely washed their hands, a million deaths a year could be prevented. (CDC)
- Handwashing can reduce the risk of respiratory infections by 16%. (CDC)
- Handwashing with soap at critical times could help reduce school absenteeism by around 42 percent. (PPPHW)
- When hand hygiene compliance in health facilities increases from less than 60% to 90%, there can be a 24% reduction in MRSA acquisition. (WHO)
What exactly is proper hand washing? It’s important to wet your hands with clean water and use soap. Rub your hands together and be sure to get every bit of your hand. Keep scrubbing for 20 seconds! We asked a few of APHL’s most special partners to demonstrate proper hand washing including a fun way to know you’ve been scrubbing for 20 seconds. Check out the video below and be sure to pass the message along!